Monday, November 22, 2010

Nature

Yesterday morning, as we were preparing to leave for church, we heard the dogs barking quite persistently outside. When we went to check it out, we saw that the dogs had cornered a mongoose inside our compound and were engaged in a bit of a grudge match with the feisty little thing. After a short time the outcome was decided. I'm sure people might be wondering: Who'd win in a fight...2 dogs vs. a mongoose?

The answer is the dogs. That's all I really need to say about that.

Today Nature continued to cause some excitement for us. Again this afternoon, I heard one of the dogs barking persistently and went to check it out. As I approached, I noticed that he was barking at a small snake that was near our front gate. The snake was trying to strike, so I called the dog to get away, hoping that he hadn't already been bitten. Even small snakes here can be very dangerous.

Once I got the dogs safely away, I went back to try to deal with the dangerous critter, but I wasn't really sure what I was going to do. Armed with only my camera (you can't let a moment like this go unrecorded!) I tried to figure out a plan, but wasn't really willing to get too close to the problem. Fortunately, I didn't have to come up with anything on my own, as Paul just happened to be driving by at that moment. I flagged him down, and he picked up a nearby construction pole that had a large nail sticking out of the end. With only 2 hits he managed to hit the snake with the nail--crisis averted!

We think it was a black mamba, which could have been quite dangerous. However, the dog appears to be fine; the snake is gone, and we have one more great story to tell. I wonder what tomorrow will hold?


the snake lying near the gate post

Paul has successfully eliminated the problem

images of Moses in the wilderness...a snake on a pole

it's good to have neighbours who are willing to take care of unpleasant tasks!




No comments:

Post a Comment