Saturday, January 29, 2011

Cairo


Just over a month ago, I was in Cairo enjoying a wonderful holiday and touring a fascinating and historically important city. Here is a photo I took from my hotel balcony on Friday, December 24, 2010. The view is of Tahrir Square in downtown Cairo.



This morning, I was reading about the protests in Cairo and looking at the various images that have been posted online; I came across the following photo dated Friday, January 28, 2011: (the photo credit is Peter Macdiarmid, Getty Images)


Notice the tower that is visible in both photos. I figure this photo could have been taken from a balcony at the same hotel I stayed in. It is hard to believe the changes to the city in such a short time, and my recent visit to Cairo makes the reality of what is happening there right now feel very close. The people we met there are on my mind today. I am praying for their safety and that peace and order will be restored to Cairo soon.









No comments:

Post a Comment