Monday, January 10, 2011

Bread


I made a rather major decision fairly recently: I decided to avoid buying bread from the bakery in town. When I am in Kampala, I will purchase a loaf or two from the supermarket bakeries--there is usually more variety there and the loaves are of a better quality. Generally,however, I am not a big fan of the bread found in most of the local stores.
It can be rather difficult to find whole wheat or even "brown" bread and the loaves tend to be dry and go stale very quickly.

There are also some definite cultural differences between what I expect a loaf of bread to be and what people here prefer. Note the selling feature of the loaf below:

Yes, that's right...it's "enriched with extra fat and sugar"...

The result of not buying much bread, is that I make my own more frequently and I do enjoy this process. The warm temperatures here ensure that the dough rises beautifully every time and there really is nothing nicer than the smell (and taste!) of freshly baked bread. I'm enjoying experimenting with different ingredients and have even gotten to the point where I don't have to follow a recipe every time. My homemade bread may lack the benefits of extra sugar and fat, but somehow, I don't seem to notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment