Thursday, December 16, 2010

Malaria


This nasty disease is an unfortunate reality here in Uganda and throughout Africa. It is the number one killer of children on this continent and it is a very complicated disease to try to understand. I am now on the recovery side of a case of what the doctor called "complicated malaria" which means there were many malarial parasites in my blood which caused high fever, chills, and general weakness. Not fun! However, medical professionals here are very capable of dealing effectively with malaria, so I was sent to the hospital immediately to start a course of IV quinine drip. I spent the night in the hospital and am feeling much better today. I am grateful that I have the resources to get the necessary treatment; too many people can't afford medical help or have access to clean drinking water in order to deal with malaria effectively. Tragic!

the ambulance I got to ride in from the clinic to the hospital


the very exciting view I've been staring at for the last 24 hours (the ceiling of my room)



looking my best
(actually an improvement from the very green shade my skin was yesterday!)

No comments:

Post a Comment