Monday, August 24, 2009

By Way of Introduction

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a developing world taxi driver/mechanic/hotel clerk in want of a tourist’s money, must be in possession of the phrase “Is no problem.” I have observed this phrase employed to answer practically any question asked of them.

“Do you know this place?”

“Can you fix this?”

“Can I arrange a wake-up call?”

“Do you understand?”


The phrase is stated with such conviction that the tourist feels that he can get in the taxi, authorize the repairs or go to bed confident that his wishes have been communicated clearly. It is only after driving in circles, hours of waiting at the shop or nearly missing a plane that the tourist begins to understand that blind faith in the phrase “Is no problem” has the potential to create a few...well...problems. The taxi driver/mechanic/hotel clerk, however, continues undaunted, unapologetic and unconcerned by the situation and will answer the same to the next person who asks.

I have just arrived in Uganda charged with starting a school, and as I consider the task at hand, I rather envy the assurance these people have to answer “Is no problem” to any challenge put before them. For that reason, I have adopted the phrase as a theme for myself as I embark on this adventure.

“Do you understand the Ugandan curriculum?”

“Can you hire staff?”

“Can you recruit students?”

“Have you ever written a policy manual for a boarding school dorm?”

When it comes time for me to address each of these issues, I shall confidently declare:

IS NO PROBLEM!

I plan to record my impressions, stories, lessons and struggles in this blog from time to time, and I hope you’ll enjoy reading it as much as I’ll enjoy writing it.

By the way.... on a related note: If a developing world taxi driver/mechanic/hotel clerk looks you in the eye and says “Is problem.” Take that as your cue to be afraid; be very afraid!

No comments:

Post a Comment